You may well be considering paying for some advertising so let’s look at the important aspects of advertising so that you DON’T WASTE YOUR MONEY.
It’s pretty obvious that you want to make more sales so just how do you propose to do that?
Firstly, it is important to understand that there is a distinct difference between marketing and advertising.
Advertising for small business: includes art, media copyrighting and strategy. Usually advertising is a paid program you undertake for a period of time, although there are also opportunities for free advertising.
When it comes to advertising, you may use the media, ads on Facebook, other social media sites or websites etc.
Marketing: is the overall branding of the business including advertising but also including everything that you use to show your business name and purpose from logo, website, business cards to packaging to social media. For an overall view on marketing visit this earlier blog.
Here are some do’s and don’ts about advertising.
- decide where you will advertise
- what you will advertise
- will you discount the advertised product
- decide on a budget
- give an end date
- explain benefits to buyer
- use KEYWORDS and make sure they are highlighted (read end of post for perfect example)
- if using graphics make sure they are 300dpi
- make sure your contact details are clearly defined
- must have a CALL TO ACTION….BUY NOW BUTTON or similar
- use the KISS theory……KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID
DON’T DO THIS
- reduce everything
- make your ad generic
- waste words… be enthusiastic but concise
- don’t be talked into any deal you are unsure about
On the internet a very popular method of advertising is PPC (Pay Per Click). This is the way you advertise on Google and some of the other larger search engines. If you want to go down this path do make sure you that you do it right. Watch your costs. It used to be quite a reasonable form of advertising but now it is actually quite expensive if you don’t get the results you are after.
POINT TO REMEMBER:
ALWAYS USE KEYWORDS FOR ANY ADVERTISING AND MARKETING THAT YOU DO
A perfect example of wasted money that I saw today whilst sitting behind a commercial vehicle at a red light.
I was following a work vehicle that was sign written and was actually thinking how good the advertising was.
- colors were business-like
- the vehicle was reasonably tidy
- the company name was clear from all angles – ‘ND Hire’
- the benefits of using them was bullet pointed
- the branch outlets were listed
- the phone numbers and website was there
BUT WHAT WAS MISSING?
There was nowhere on the vehicle that actually said what it was that they hired. It could have been sound equipment, furniture, commercial building equipment, party equipment, etc. Even in the list of benefits the actual wording did not indicate what they hire.This list was too generic, it could have been for anything. The paint job on the vehicle probably cost several thousand dollars! BUT you could say that it was totally wasted.
This is a typical mistake we business owners often make. We know our business so well that we leave out the obvious.
SIGN UP AND RECEIVE THE PASSWORD TO ACCESS OUR FREE RESOURCES AT YOUR LEISURE